CIEH Foundation Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
This 1 day course provides essential information, which is required by everyone, covering the fundamental aspects of health and
safety at work. Delegates are encouraged to apply the information by using practical exercises and work based scenarios.
Employers are required to protect the health and safety of people while at work and others who may be affected by the undertakings. Thousands of accidents and cases of ill health happen in workplaces every year, some are reported to the enforcing authorities, however, many go unreported. A fundamental aspect of health and safety is to take measures aimed at preventing accidents and protecting people. Employers and employees need to work together in order to achieve good health and safety standards. Employers must inform, instruct and train their staff on all aspects relating to safe working practices in order to achieve acceptable standards. Good health and safety standards make good business sense.
The course provides essential information, which is required by everyone, covering the fundamental aspects of health and safety at work. Delegates are encouraged to apply the information by using practical exercises and work based scenarios. The duration of the course will be delivered over one day (6 hours).
The aim of this award is to develop knowledge and gain a better understanding of health and safety in the workplace.
The Foundation Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety comprises of six outcomes:
1. Understand the principles of occupational health and safety and apply this knowledge in the workplace.
2. State and understand the scope of legal and moral responsibilities whilst at work.
3. Understand the principles of accident prevention and the need to report accidents including near misses
4. Understand the importance of risk assessment and the practical actions to improve health and safety
5. Be aware of the hazards and risks associated with the workplace, work equipment, work activities, fire, display screen equipment and hazardous substances
6. Determine reasonable methods to control risks associated with all aspects of the working environment
The course covers the following topics:
- Accidents & accident prevention
- Occupational Health, Safety & Welfare
- The workplace & equipment
- Risk assessment
- Personal protection
- Fire safety
- Manual handling
- Hazardous substances/Cross infection control
- Ergonomics and workstation design
- First aid
- Working at heights, Transport & Vehicles, Noise & Vibration (limited coverage only)
Assessment will be by means of a multiple-choice knowledge ‘test’ covering the six outcomes. Those who achieve the required standard will receive the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Foundation Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety. Course Approved by the FGDP (UK) for Accreditation of 6 CPD hours and Complies with GDC Verifiable CPD Requirements.
No specific prior qualifications, learning or experience is required. However, the nature of both the learning and assessment required for the certificate is such that delegates will benefit from working in a dental environment.
This course will benefit anyone in a dental environment, it provides individuals with an understanding of the fundamental aspects of health and safety at work. In addition it encourages a team approach to safe working practices
For individuals with a greater responsibility for managing health & safety Principles and Practice of Risk Assessment is the route of progression.
Course fees are tailored to your specific circumstances please contact us for the most cost effective price structure to meet your specific needs.